These days, almost everyone seems to be interested in the top ways to relieve stress. Numerous factors, big or small, in the world may cause a person to feel stressed out. It is not a new term to come across, especially in the age of Covid-19.
We as human beings often come across a stressful situation, such as a relationship issue, or death of a dear one. And it is completely normal, until or unless it stops us from carrying out all our daily tasks as we normally would.
This past year has been particularly stressful for many due to the Covid-19 pandemic. But even in that there are ways to help ourselves understand and deal with the stress. Reference here to one of my previous blogs.
What is Stress?
Stress is primarily how we react to different situations. While some people may remain calm, some others may get panicked and stressed even in normal traffic, or maybe due to work pressure at their job.
Stress, if severe, can be problematic. It may tend to adversely affect your physical health or make you feel dog-tired. Or you may fail to concentrate on simple things.
Nevertheless, your body has a “fight-or-flight” response to such stressful situations. During this process, your body releases some hormones, after receiving signals from your brain to boost your potential for responding to a possible threat.
Due to stress having become a common issue, this “fight-or-flight” response process can become recurring. This is when stress management is required, since it provides you with a sea of tools to fight your stress.
Make stress management your goal that you constantly want to achieve.
And do not forget to analyze your stress level from time to time. Thereafter, move on to determine what causes you to stress out.
Ways To Relieve Stress
1. Notice how you feel – No two people will experience stress in exactly the same manner. Take note of how you behave or think when you stress and when you do not.
2. Understand the source – Pay attention to what is the triggering factor of your stress.
This factor can be anything, including your relationship with your partner or spouse, your kids, your job, your financial issue, or anything else that matters to you in some way or the other.
3. Understand your way to deal with stress – Try to identify if you become unhealthy when you become stressed out.
Maybe you start eating more than enough when you feel uneasy and strained. Analyze if it is your regular pattern or if in fact it is caused by a specific situation only.
4. Ask for help – Choose to not keep your stress to yourself and continue to stress, but rather to share it with friends and family and feel a bit relaxed.
Trust me, the latter will help you cope better with a stressful situation as compared to the former, in which case you might have to consult a professional psychologist in order to find an answer for your stress.
5. Keep physically active – Forget not making any physical movements at all. Physical exercise of any kind is a great stress reliever, since the feel-good endorphins get a boost and bring an enhancement in your overall well-being.
6. Laugh more – Laughter is the best medicine.
Definitely, each of your illnesses is not treatable alone by your laughter, but, it certainly helps you feel better. You feel lighter mentally.
So, find humor in everything you see or experience.
7. Sleep enough – Get a proper sleep every night i.e. around 7-8 hours. When you sleep well, you feel well, and you react well.
8. Remind yourself – “I am special” – Don’t forget to eat well and drink lots of water every day. Go for a walk, listen to music, and dance to your favorite number.
Be happy. Take a break from work. Enjoy yourself. Half of your problems will disappear.
To conclude, stress may be related to a positive or a negative situation. Make sure you gauge your stress level keeping in mind both the aspects.
Not suddenly, but gradually, you will learn to manage your stress in the safest and most effective manner.
Please feel free to add comments.
4 thoughts on “Top Ways To Relieve Stress”
What a wonderful post on how to release stress.
What I love most about the ways is that all the suggestions are gearing us to look inwards.
Personally, I feel that most stress in life is cause by external factors. However, by managing ourselves better and understand our own emotions, we can keep stress at bay and live happily as suggested.
Your observations are “bang on”, in that we have no control over many of the external factors in our lives that bring us stress, but we do have control over what we do to try to manage the stress. Well said by you and thank you for your comments.
Hi, I’ve just gone through this helpful and educative post you’ve shared about top ways to relieve stress. Little did I know that when I have stress, my body releases some hormones after receiving signals from the brain to boost my potential responding as you clearly stated in this post. Stress can be dangerous especially if you don’t know how to deal with it or what to do when you are in a stressful situation. Thank you so much for sharing this helpful information, I’ll also be sharing this post too.
Thanks for your observations and for sharing the post. I hope it can be of help to many others as well,