Have you by chance been looking for a cure for ringing in the ears? You are not alone because many people are.
Tinnitus (the medical term for ringing in the ears) is the result of prolonged exposure to loud sound, middle ear infections, ear wax build up and/or damages to the nerve endings.
The sufferer hears sounds that are not present in his or her immediate surroundings. The type of sound (hissing, clicking, whistling, buzzing etc. ), the pitch and the volume level varies from person to person.
The symptoms must be addressed at the earliest because it interferes with day-to-day activities and also impairs hearing in the long run.
Many debate that there is no cure for ringing in the ears, but it is not true. There a several holistic treatments and home remedies to relieve the symptoms, making life easier for you.
Here are some of the proven ways to get rid of ringing in the ears.
1. Start by monitoring your blood pressure. Ringing in the ears might develop as a temporary symptom of high blood pressure. So, do take it into consideration.
2. Reduce your intake of salt by 10% of your daily consumption.
3. Quit drinking alcohol and cut back on beverages such as tea and coffee as they contain caffeine, a substance that dehydrates the body.
4. If you use aspirin or medications that have aspirin as one of the main components, try to limit its use. However, you should do so only after consulting your doctor if you are on an aspirin regimen.
5. Ringing in the earss can also be caused by poor blood flow to the structures of the ear. The nicotine present in cigarettes and other tobacco products impedes proper blood flow and hence should be avoided.
6. Exposing yourself to loud noise after you already suffer symptoms of tinnitus tends to aggravate the condition. Protect your ears with ear muffs or ear plugs every time you are visiting a high-noise area.
7. The clicking, buzzing, hissing sounds a tinnitus sufferer hears becomes more clear and distracting when the external environment is silent.
The use of white noise is considered a great coping mechanism because it masks the sound you hear with another louder sound. You can play soft music in the background or concentrate on the sounds produced by the fan or humidifier in the room to dim the other sounds.
8. Whenever the sounds start to echo in your ears, try distracting the mind by doing something else. This way it becomes more manageable.
9. Trying to stop the ringing in the ears is also about controlling stress as too much stress will worsen it. Take rest whenever possible, and use meditation and yoga to provide an outlet for your stress.
10. Exercise to improve blood circulation in the body.
11. The herbal supplement gingko biloba has also been found to be effective in treating tinnitus . It improves blood circulation and heals inflamed blood vessels.
If the ringing in ears persists despite taking precautions and using all these home remedies, you should fix an appointment with your ENT (ear nose & throat) specialist. It might hint at a more serious health condition.
Do you have any comments or observations to add?